Tuesday 24 July 2012

Crocodile Tears

I love his square shaped dish, shape number 364. It dates from the mid to late 1950's and is less common than it's oblong counterpart 316, shown in the previous post, that remained in production through the 1960's and 70's for the Delphis and Aegean ranges. The pattern is UFT aka Tears pattern and was painted by Sheila Jenkins. Anyway, I thought for a change I might post a personal note. Though thinking about the title for this post, I'm not sure if the tears might be genuine. I've been working in the NHS for 16 years now but will be handing in my notice in the next few weeks. I never imagined how happy I would feel doing that. I've been offered another job elsewhere and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from me. But I'm sorry too. I think most people start working in the NHS for pretty selfless reasons. But i'm not sure many other employers treat their staff with more contempt. It's strange how, as a nation, we could imagine ending up with a more caring workforce by increasing targets, monitoring and workload and freezing pay and cutting pensions. Anyway, I'm glad to be out of it, until I get old and sick and need it again, if it's still there.

 

2 comments:

  1. What's your new job, Robert? Glad you feel relieved to be leaving but I agree it's terribly sad that excellent, experienced staff feel forced out.
    I feel we need a drink sometime this summer to catch up!
    I would be drawn to that little dish, even if I didn't know it was Poole! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise, Well they have lost both of us now. Actually the team I'm leaving had an apparently glowing annual report this year, which reminded me of your old team just before they axed us.
      A drink would be great, especially now we've got the warm evenings. I think dave will be in touch soon re his wedding plans too. The next Elecar antiques fair date I can make is 9th September, do you fancy a trip out there? Rob x

      Delete