Friday 24 August 2012

My Fine Four Fendered Friends


Sometimes I don't quite appreciate how special something is until it's photographed and posted on here. Which is how it's been with these Carter tiles.  When I found seven of them at the Newark Fair yesterday, I was pretty underwhelmed really, but brought them just because they were cheap.  Looking at them now, I think they have a real 1960's period charm and were a rare find.  
Margaret Mathews designed the set of six (I've got one to swap if anyone's interested), screen printed  tiles in 1960.  They're each six inches square and the set is titled Veteran Cars and numbered VC1 to VC6. They're all in pristine condition and at Newark still carried their shop label below, stuck to the front of one of them and telling a sad story of remaindered stock, even after the price cut from 36 to 27 shillings.  After allowing for 52 years of inflation I still got them at half price.


4 comments:

  1. Rob, they are fantastic! I might have been tempted by them, and I'm not really a ceramics kinda gal, as you know!
    Liking your CCBB reference too! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them too Curtise. There is some vintage fashion at Newark, but you have to walk past an awful of of other stalls to find it. We'll have to go shopping together some time, but you'll have to promise to let me have first pick of any Poole and I'll promise to stay away from the frocks. x

      Delete
  2. Wow Rob they look great now they have been cleaned up! Really pleased you bought them And that I was there to witness they purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham, was lucky for me you were there to offer some encouragement (as if I needed any)

      Delete