Friday 20 January 2012

Finally joining the 21st Century?

Reluctantly, after the old PC blow-up earlier this month, I've been forced into dumping my old photo editing software.  Given away free in a magazine sometime in the mid 1990's, it's had a hand in improving most of the photos I've taken since: Cropping, adjusting the brightness, cleaning up the background, and almost always leveling the horizons (I've never managed to hold a camera straight).  Anyway, my new PC is running on something other than Windows 3.1 and with this new version, apparently, my last last century software is incompatible!  So above is my first effort, with the new software.  Which I think looks no different to all the other photos I've posted - so much for progress.
The vase, that arrived from eBay this year, really couldn't be improved upon.  Shape number 586, 3 1/2 inches tall, painted in the lovely KZ pattern by Phyllis Way who worked at Poole from 1928 until 1934.  
I've read recently (in a book) that the first pottery was made about 16,500 years ago.  I'm sure a lot of the first ones were a bit dodgy, but by the 1920's I think Poole Pottery had really cracked it and in my eyes nothing since has bettered it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment