Sunday 15 April 2012

Not quite out for a duck

Designed by John Adams and Harry Brown between 1936 and 1939, this duck was produced in 3 sizes and  coloured with the "Picotee" spray-on glazes developed by Lesley Elsden.  Other flying birds were modeled as seagulls and blue birds, though unlike those some of the feathering details on the duck relies more on the application of the glaze, than the molding - surface decoration that is really quite effective.  My duck is the middle sized version, shape number 812/2 and was produced in the early 1950's.

The flying duck is all I came away with from Newark on Friday.  There were a few other nice pots, but nothing else either rare enough or cheep enough, and it may be the best things had already been sold.   Friday is the second day at Newark, with £5 admission as opposed to Thursdays £20 charge, but if I am getting more discerning (picky) in my collecting , maybe I need to be there on the first day in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment