Saturday 6 February 2010

Newark Finds Yesterday

These are my latest Poole Pottery finds from the Newark Antiques Fair yesterday. I'm really pleased with them.
The jazzy pink flower vase is LT pattern, of which I seem to be collecting quite a few, but it is one of my favourite patterns. It's shape number 585 , was thrown in white clay with pink base, is only 3 1/2 inches tall and was painted by Phyllis Ryall. It's not so very different from the vase posted below, which i also found at Newark, but this one has a smaller and quite distinctive neck.
The little geometric pot is QO pattern, shape number 118, made from red clay and painted by either Marian Jones or Grace Burge. I think its complete (ie didn't come with a lid) but is just too big to be an egg cup, so i'm not quite sure what you'd use it for other than admiring.
And the star of the day is the plate. It has no shape number, is 8 1/2 inches in diameter and has 8 little indents round the edge that match up with the lightening strikes. I think it might come form the Studland tea service designed by John Adams. It's painted in MW pattern by Margaret Holder and dates from about 1927. These more muted/monochrome patterns are relatively rare and this is my first example. The same plate is illustrated on page 66 of "Collecting Poole Pottery" Robert Prescott-Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment