Sunday 17 November 2013

Could Try Harder


Cottees Auctioneers in Wareham held one of their Poole Pottery sales yesterday. I was bidding online and won just one of the dozen or so lots I tried for.  The four spice jars above were the first of my lots to come up, and although I lost these, I now wish I had tried a bit harder to win them.  It's just hard bidding twice the estimate for pots with so much damage to them.  
I have my own set of jars here  http://robspoolepotterycollection.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/early-storage-jars.html and V&A have their lone Pepper and Currents jars, but I had no idea that Peppercorn, Ginger, Mixed Spice and Nutmeg ever existed until I saw these pot  listed in the sale.    So at least, now I know there are more jars out there to complete my collection, and very possibly more than the four shown here.  I just need to keep a look out over the next few decades waiting for them to come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment